National Certificate in Generic Management (NQF 5)
The National Certificate in Generic Management is an accredited full qualification quality assured by BANKSETA. It has been specifically developed to build a wide range of management competencies. Key competencies developed include: leadership, staff motivation, staff recruitment, operational management, financial management and essential skills like decision making and negotiating. Learners are further given an opportunity to specialise by selecting electives from one of four available elective streams. The elective streams available through Chartall are:
- General management;
- Customer relationship management;
- Skills development management;
- Strategic management.
An added benefit is that this qualification has been approved by the Financial Sector Conduct Authority (FSCA) to fulfil the generic Category 1 qualification requirements for FAIS Fit & Proper compliance – both for representatives and Key Individuals.Is this qualification for me?
This qualification is aimed at first line and senior managers who are seeking a better understanding of people, operational and strategic management. It has been designed to develop the general management competencies required in any occupation or business sector.
The qualification is widely recognised as a starting point for managers who are climbing the corporate ladder and it provides successful learners with access to the Chartall Business College Bachelor of Business Administration degree.
This NQF level 5 qualification flows seamlessly and logically from the Further Education and Training Certificate in Generic Management (NQF 4), although some learners can elect to start at NQF 5 if they have sufficient experience to do so.
Chartall Business College has curated your online training material into weeks for easy access, although you can move around in the subject material if you wish. You will be allocated to an online e-lecturer who will assist you with queries, run e-tutorials and keep you on track. The course material is a combination of e-learning and pre-recorded e-lectures that you work through systematically in your own time, at your own place and in your own space. You can repeat any lesson or video at any time, which is impossible to do in class. This means you can review difficult concepts slowly and often for deeper learning and insight.
Learners who have been working in a management role for over five years may apply to complete the qualification through Recognition of Prior Learning, which is simply the assessment without any training. You can find the RPL information on the website as well.
Learners must have a PC or tablet (or smart phone, but this could be too small for effective learning) with sufficient internet connectivity to download the online learning materials and view videos. Learners should also ideally be employed in a managerial position as many of the assessments you are required to complete are practical and it is easier if you can access real workplace documents to help you with this (but you can simulate if you need to).
In addition, online learners must be competent in communication at NQF level 4 and mathematical literacy at NQF level 4. (This is generally proven through a National Senior Certificate or equivalent.) A good level of computer literacy is also an advantage.Is this qualification accredited?
The National Certificate in Generic Management qualification is accredited by the BANKSETA, and is registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) as a 162 credit qualification at level 5 (SAQA ID: 59201). Chartall Business College is accredited by BANKSETA to offer this qualification and all four elective streams.
How will I be assessed?
The advantage of the portfolio as a mode of assessment is that it can be used after the learning to support the learner’s CV as it showcases what they can do practically (you will need to keep a copy of it for this purpose).
- Lectures 41
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 6 hours/week
- Skill level NQF 5
- Language English
- Students 2400
- Assessments Yes
There are four different elective streams that can be selected depending on the job focus of the learners. In each case the core and fundamental unit standards are the same. The four elective streams are: general management, customer relationship management, strategic management and skills development facilitation.
These unit standards are common to all four streams
- 252020 Create and manage an environment that promotes innovation
- 252021 Formulate recommendations for a change process
- 2 52025 Monitor, assess and manage risk
- 252026 Apply a systems approach to decision making
- 252032 Develop, implement and evaluate an operational plan
- 252036 Apply mathematical analysis to economic and financial information
- 252040 Manage the finances of a unit
- 252042 Apply the principles of ethics to improve organizational culture
- 252044 Apply the principles of knowledge management
- 12433 Use communication techniques effectively
- 120300 Analyse leadership and related theories in a work context
- 252022 Develop, implement and evaluate a project plan
- 252027 Devise and apply strategies to establish and maintain workplace relationships
- 252029 Lead people development and talent management
- 252034 Monitor and evaluate team members against performance standards
- 252035 Select and coach first line managers
- 252037 Build teams to achieve goals and objectives
- 252043 Manage a diverse work force to add value
Elective specialisation 1: General management (Learning Programme ID: 96100)
- 114226 Interpret and manage conflicts in the workplace
- 117853 Conduct negotiations to deal with conflict situations
- 252024 Evaluate current practices against best practice
- 252030 Analyse compliance to legal requirements and recommend corrective actions
- 252033 Develop ways of dealing with the impact of dreaded diseases
- 252039 Develop a plan to combat corruption
Elective specialisation 2: Customer management (Learning Programme ID: 96099)
Elective specialisation 3: Strategic management (Learning Programme ID 96102)
- 264395 Formulate a strategy and an implementation plan for a function
- 264398 Evaluate and plan the role of self as leader in a function
- 264400 Apply the principles of corporate governance and ethics in a function
- 264403 Apply problem-solving techniques to make decisions on a multi-faceted problem
- 264407 Analyse the strategy and external environment of the entity in relation to a function
- 264408 Manage and improve communication processes in a function
- 264409 Use negotiation in multi-faceted situations to achieve the objectives of a function
- 15219 Develop and implement a strategy and action plans for a team, department or division
Elective specialisation 4: Skills development facilitation (Learning Programme 96101)
- 11911 Manage individual careers
- 15219 Develop and implement a strategy and action plans for a team
- 15220 Set, monitor and measure the achievement of goals and objectives for a team
- 15232 Coordinate planned skills development interventions in an organisation
- 116926 Implement skills development as workplace learning to support transformation
- 252041 Promote a learning culture in an organisation