National Certificate in Generic Management (NQF 5) RPL
The National Certificate in Generic Management is an accredited full qualification quality assured by BANKSETA. It has been specifically developed to cover a wide range of management competencies. Key competencies assessed in this qualification include: leadership, staff motivation, staff recruitment, operational management, financial management and other essential skills like decision making and negotiating. Learners are further given an opportunity to specialise by selecting electives from one of four available elective streams. The elective streams available through Chartall are:
- General management;
- Customer relationship management;
- Skills development management;
- Strategic management.
An added benefit is that this qualification has been approved by the Financial Sector Conduct Authority (FSCA) to fulfil the generic Category 1 qualification requirements for FAIS Fit & Proper compliance – both for representatives and Key Individuals.Is this qualification for me?
This qualification is aimed aimed at first line and senior managers who already have a good understanding of people, operational and strategic management. The RPL methodology is designed specifically for those employees who are already in a management role. The qualification is widely recognised as a starting point for managers who are climbing the corporate ladder and it provides successful learners with access to the Chartall Business College Bachelor of Business Administration degree.
This qualification is offered either through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or online learning. (Note that face-to-face training is also offered at selected workplaces. You can request face-to-face training here.)
Only learners who have been working in a management or supervisory position for over five years should apply to complete the qualification through RPL. This is because there is no training and no training materials with the RPL option. You simply complete the assessment. Learners with less workplace experience should rather complete the qualification through the online learning delivery method.
RPL candidates should have been in a management role for at least five years. Experience should also be relevant to one of the four elective streams (i.e. management, strategy, skills development or customer management). This will provide you with sufficient workplace learning to complete the RPL successfully. RPL candidates should note that there is no training offered with the RPL enrolment option and all assessments are completed using your existing learning as the basis for your assessments.
Learners will complete their RPL assessment online, so you will need a PC or tablet with sufficient internet connectivity to download and upload the assessments.
In addition, RPL learners must be competent in communication at NQF level 4 and mathematical literacy at NQF level 4. (This is generally proven through a National Senior Certificate or equivalent.) A good level of computer literacy is also an advantage.
The National Certificate in Generic Management qualification is accredited by the BANKSETA, and is registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) as a 162 credit qualification at level 5 (SAQA ID: 59201). Chartall Business College is accredited by BANKSETA to offer this qualification and all four elective streams.
How will I be assessed?
The advantage of the portfolio as a mode of assessment is that it can be used after the learning to support the learner’s CV as it showcases what they can do practically (you will need to keep a copy of it for this purpose).
- Lectures 41
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 6 hours/week
- Skill level NQF 5
- Language English
- Students 1322
- Assessments Yes
There are four different elective streams that can be selected depending on the job focus of the learners. In each case the core and fundamental unit standards are the same. The four elective streams are: general management, customer relationship management, strategic management and skills development facilitation.
These unit standards are common to all four streams
- 252020 Create and manage an environment that promotes innovation Copy
- 252021 Formulate recommendations for a change process Copy
- 2 52025 Monitor, assess and manage risk Copy
- 252026 Apply a systems approach to decision making Copy
- 252032 Develop, implement and evaluate an operational plan Copy
- 252036 Apply mathematical analysis to economic and financial information Copy
- 252040 Manage the finances of a unit Copy
- 252042 Apply the principles of ethics to improve organizational culture Copy
- 252044 Apply the principles of knowledge management Copy
- 12433 Use communication techniques effectively Copy
- 120300 Analyse leadership and related theories in a work context Copy
- 252022 Develop, implement and evaluate a project plan Copy
- 252027 Devise and apply strategies to establish and maintain workplace relationships Copy
- 252029 Lead people development and talent management Copy
- 252034 Monitor and evaluate team members against performance standards Copy
- 252035 Select and coach first line managers Copy
- 252037 Build teams to achieve goals and objectives Copy
- 252043 Manage a diverse work force to add value Copy
Elective specialisation 1: General management (Learning Programme ID: 96100)
- 114226 Interpret and manage conflicts in the workplace Copy
- 117853 Conduct negotiations to deal with conflict situations Copy
- 252024 Evaluate current practices against best practice Copy
- 252030 Analyse compliance to legal requirements and recommend corrective actions Copy
- 252033 Develop ways of dealing with the impact of dreaded diseases Copy
- 252039 Develop a plan to combat corruption Copy
Elective specialisation 2: Customer management (Learning Programme ID: 96099)
Elective specialisation 3: Strategic management (Learning Programme ID 96102)
- 264395 Formulate a strategy and an implementation plan for a function Copy
- 264398 Evaluate and plan the role of self as leader in a function Copy
- 264400 Apply the principles of corporate governance and ethics in a function Copy
- 264403 Apply problem-solving techniques to make decisions on a multi-faceted problem Copy
- 264407 Analyse the strategy and external environment of the entity in relation to a function Copy
- 264408 Manage and improve communication processes in a function Copy
- 264409 Use negotiation in multi-faceted situations to achieve the objectives of a function Copy
- 15219 Develop and implement a strategy and action plans for a team, department or division Copy
Elective specialisation 4: Skills development facilitation (Learning Programme 96101)
- 11911 Manage individual careers Copy
- 15219 Develop and implement a strategy and action plans for a team Copy
- 15220 Set, monitor and measure the achievement of goals and objectives for a team Copy
- 15232 Coordinate planned skills development interventions in an organisation Copy
- 116926 Implement skills development as workplace learning to support transformation Copy
- 252041 Promote a learning culture in an organisation Copy